[Operators] Remove old unused accounts?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Dec 9 08:26:11 CST 2009

On 12/9/09 6:15 AM, Mathias Ertl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added the policy that old accounts on our XMPP-Server will be deleted
> after a year of inactivity. The CCC (jabber.ccc.de) seems to practice
> the same, and I *think* jabber.org also deletes unused accounts.

Yes, we do that at the jabber.org service.

> But some of your Users complained that such a practice is questionable,
> at least if you allow the usernames to be reregistered: Somebody could
> reuse your ID, and if someone else used your ID before, you could
> unwillingly inherit what the one before you posted on the internet.

This is true.

> So what is your practice on deleting unused accounts? Do you block
> reregistering? And if yes: how do you implement this with ejabberd?

At jabber.org we allow re-registration. However, you raise some good
points about the practice. My major concern is that if we kept accounts
forever, we would have a lot more accounts (most of them idle) than we
have now. Before we started removing idle accounts, our database was
growing quite fast, whereas now it grows much more slowly (we have about
330,000 accounts).

Another issue is clean deletion: sending unsubscribes from the old
account to the entities in the roster, removing the vCard, etc. I don't
know if any software makes this easy or even possible.