[PubSub] [Fwd: [fireeagle] Fire Eagle + XMPP realtime notifications]

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Wed Dec 3 21:50:18 CST 2008

This is cool stuff...

-------- Original Message --------
To: 	fireeagle at yahoogroups.com
From: 	Seth Fitzsimmons <seth at mojodna.net>
Sender: 	fireeagle at yahoogroups.com
Date: 	Wed, 3 Dec 2008 15:25:27 -0800
Subject: 	[fireeagle] Fire Eagle + XMPP realtime notifications

I haven't had a chance to write up the docs yet, but Fire Eagle's XMPP
PubSub endpoint is up and running at fireeagle.com. It implements a
subset of XEP-0060 (Publish-Subscribe), specifically:
* subscribe (signed using OAuth (XEP-0235) w/ User-specific access tokens)
* unsubscribe (signed using OAuth w/ User-specific access tokens)
* subscriptions (signed using OAuth w/ General Purpose access tokens)
* event notifications (location updates)

I wrote some (Ruby) client code for it as well as some additional
instructions for subscribing to individual users' nodes:
http://github.com/mojodna/fire-hydrant/tree/master
<http://github.com/mojodna/fire-hydrant/tree/master>

Event notifications contain XML-formatted location information, the
same as you would get when querying for an individual user's location.

You don't need to use Fire Hydrant to receive updates (use an XMPP
library in your language of choice that supports PubSub event
notifications), but you'll probably want to use switchboard to create
appropriate subscriptions (as it's the only tool I know of that
supports OAuth for XMPP requests).

Switchboard is here:
http://github.com/mojodna/switchboard/tree/master
<http://github.com/mojodna/switchboard/tree/master>

Give it a spin and let us know how it's working for you.

seth