[PubSub] [Standards] Getting pending subscription requests

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Apr 16 09:46:02 CDT 2009

On 12/2/08 2:57 PM, Brett Zamir wrote:
> In http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#owner-subreq-pernode , a
> per-node request (of pending subscriptions) is to be made using Ad-hoc
> Commands. The Openfire implementation returns a <command/> child and
> looking at the Ad-hoc Commands spec,
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0050.html#execute-multiple , under
> example 15, it looks like
> this is indeed the correct behavior. In the Pubsub spec, however, the
> success result (example 169) is an empty <iq/> (no <command/> child).
>
> Should the Pubsub spec be corrected or should the Ad-hoc Command spec
> make clear that an iq response can be completely empty?

I think you're right that the reply needs to be this:

<iq from='pubsub.shakespeare.lit'
    id='pending2'
    to='hamlet at denmark.lit/elsinore'
    type='result'>
  <command xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/commands'
           sessionid='pubsub-get-pending:20031021T150901Z-600'
           node='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#get-pending'
           action='completed'/>
</iq>

> Also the wording in Pubsub seems a little unclear: "the owner then MAY
> request pending subscription approval requests". I think it would be
> more clear that there is to be an actual change of state, if the word
> "submit" is used in place of the first "request". Also the example's
> title is similarly confusing: "Owner requests all pending subscription
> requests for a node", since it seems to me that this section is talking
> about approving the subscriptions.

No, approval happens by responding to the messages that contain data forms.

https://stpeter.im/