[PubSub] Suggestions for new node configurations

Nathan Fritz nathanfritz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 14:32:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Robin Collier <robincollier at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Well, I will be enabling (2) with the application I am building (I thought
> that one might be somewhat contentious).  Although I think there will be
> other use cases where published items will only be relevant during the time
> when the user who published them is still present.
>
> In my own case, we are using a pubsub node to notify users of an
> application of what other users are doing, if they are interested.  The
> interest level is typically determined by whether the users are in the same
> group.  It's basically a near real time state update to relevant parties.
> (It would be even better if I could utilize collection nodes as well, but
> that part of the spec is too immature at this point.)

I would suggest that you use PEP for extending presence, which is
essentially a pubsub node handled by the server in the bareJID's name with
automatic subscriptions based on Service Discovery/Entity Capabilities to
advertise interest.  Instead of having multiple items in a node for each app
(thus needing the cleanup you're talking about), I suggest a node per app.
A separate, non-PEP node could be used to store a log of activity for
look-up.

> I am somewhat surprised that the 1st item is not already part of the spec,
> as I see it as much more desirable than max_items, the only current option
> for limiting the volume stored.  I would think that for most multi user
> applications, determining a hard value for the number of items you wish to
> keep would be more difficult than determining at what time they are no
> longer relevant.

You're asking things of the spec that are beyond the spec's purpose.
Cleanup and maintenance are not part of the spec.  If a server chose to have
a configuration option for maintenance they could.  If a service provided
said maintenance behind the scenes, great.  I think the real problem is that
you're trying to extend presence and and also maintain a log of activity,
the first of which is better in PEP, and the second of which is better with
traditional pubsub.  If you require complicated maintenance, perhaps a "node
as code" approach is more appropriate, where you behave within the spec for
API, but have background behaviors outside of the spec.

-Fritz