[Social] auto-discovery of pubsub nodes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Fri Mar 28 11:57:56 CDT 2008

Pedro Melo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> At the XMPP Summit in Brussels a few weeks ago, Ralph Meijer brought up
>> the idea of auto-discoving pubsub nodes via a <link/> in the head of a
>> web page. We're thinking along the following lines...
>>
>> (1) For a standard pubsub node:
>>
>> <link rel='alternate' href='xmpp:pubsub.domain.tld?;node=foo'/>
>>
>> (2) For a PEP node:
>>
>> <link rel='alternate' href='xmpp:user at domain.tld?;node=foo'/>
>>
>> The idea is that you would send a service discovery request to the node
>> in order to find out more detailed information, then if desired send a
>> pubsub subscription request if you want to receive notifications.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> This is the link for notifications of new content, the equivalent to
> RSS/Atom feed, right?

I think so. Ralph would like to make it more general (not even limited
to pubsub, it could be any XMPP URI), but I think it might be better for
the node to be more specific (i.e., an Atom feed). However, that could
be handled via the URI:

<link rel='alternate'
href='xmpp:stpeter at jabber.org?pubsub;action=subscribe;node=http:%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2005%2FAtom'/>

> And we should assume Atom-over-XMPP here, as in
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-atompub-notify-06.html

Maybe. See above for the appropriate URI.

> (BTW, set to expire April 4th)

Yeah, I know! And rfc3920bis and rfc3921bis are set to expire on the
7th. And I have another important spec to finish by Tuesday! ;-)

https://stpeter.im/