[standards-jig] new RFC draft

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 06:34:41 CST 2002

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 05:01:44AM -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:31:02AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > I have posted a *preliminary draft* of the new RFC that the Jabber
> > Software Foundation plans to submit to the IETF as an Informational RFC in
> > order to document the Jabber protocols. Your feedback is most welcome.
> [...]
> > http://foundation.jabber.org/jabber-rfc.txt
>
>   Excellent !
>
> I didn't yet read it thoroughtly but here are a few suggestions:
>
> 4.4 XML Streams and XML Fragments
>
>   replace "well-formed XML fragment" by "well-balanced fragment".
> And add the following definition:
>
>   "A fragment of an XML document is is said to be well-balanced if
>    it matches production [43] content of the XML 1.0 specification"

  Now that I think about it we should avoid "XML Fragment" terminology.
It conflicts with the XML Fragment Interchange Working Draft [1] and may
confuse people. What about "XML Chunk" instead, I don't think there is
an XML Chunk spec anywhere at least I don't know about it ;-)

Daniel

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-fragment while though on its way to the W3C
    trash bin most people would expect "XML Fragment" to relate to it.

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/