[standards-jig] RE: JIDs (JEP-0029)

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Wed May 1 15:48:11 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
>From: "Matthew A. Miller" <linuxwolf at outer-planes.no-ip.COM>
[stuff munched]...
> Using bytes instead of characters, however, is not a good idea IMO.  It
> restricts Jabber(tm) to only those that can express their language in
> ASCII.  Also, the the "node" and "resource" are considered UTF-8, which
> makes them multi-byte character strings.  This (apparently) imposes an
> "arbitrary" limit on the string, which does not result in a fixed
> length.

Matt -

Please checkout Craigs "justification" for using bytes instead of characters
in this post to this mailing list:

We are in NO WAY restricting Jabber to ASCII by any stretch of the
imagination. The 256 bytes was determined by using the worst case scenario
(4 byte characters in han ideographs) and saying that we want to allow 64 of
those characters (at 4 bytes each). Hence the 256 byte limit.