[standards-jig] Stream Compression

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Thu May 2 15:12:18 CDT 2002

Dave, you need to stop stating things as facts when you obviously have
not done any research on the topic whatsoever. I just typed "SSL
compression" into google and I got a bunch of documents on how you
enable compression in SSL.

In fact, there's a nice little page on the current situation of
compression in SSL using the OpenSSL library:
http://www.openssl.org/docs/ssl/SSL_COMP_add_compression_method.html

TSLv1, the method Gabber uses, supports compression. It's simply a
matter of getting client and server to negotiate the same compression
method. After agreeing upon a standard set of compression IDs for
Jabber, it would take probably 1-3 lines of code in Gabber and maybe a
few more in the server to get compression enabled in Jabber SSL
sessions. What Mike Lin describes would take a heck of a lot more work
than that...

Please, Dave, while I appreciate the amount of time you spend on Jabber,
the message you just sent was utterly worthless because you really don't
know the facts. You were just telling me I was wrong for the sake of
telling me I'm wrong.

Also, before you argue that SSL adds the encryption overhead, jer just
pointed out to me that it's probably possible to tell SSL to use a null
cipher, so you essentially get what Mike Lin described. Looking at the
OpenSSL headers and documentation, it seems possible, but I will admit
that I haven't tried it.

Julian