[standards-jig] Service Discovery JEP

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Sun May 5 21:30:49 CDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 18:14, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> A bunch of us got together on Friday and worked out a protocol for service
> discovery to replace (and fix some of the problems with) jabber:iq:browse.
> This spec is under fairly heavy development so don't take it as gospel.
> But I must say we're pretty excited about the possibilities here. Plus it
> uses the hip and groovy jabber:iq:disco namespace. :) Check it out and
> give us some feedback:
>
> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0030.html
>
> Peter

I don't like this for some reason.
I guess I'm just having difficulty seeing why we have to completely
ditch iq:browse already.

Point 1 is worthless, if that's such a big deal we can change the
iq:browse JEP. I wrote the JEP that way because I thought that would be
easiest. If everyone would rather have tons of categories and types
without any prior knowledge of what they might be (thus not allowing for
things like winjab's icons when browsing), then fine, but I think you
lose something when you make it too open.

I can understand the rest of the points, I guess, but there's just
something about it that I don't like. Maybe after I'm done trying to
cram for these goddamn AP exams I'll think about it more...

Julian
email: julian at jabber.org
jabber:julian at jabber.org