[standards-jig] JEP-0045 Suggestions

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon Sep 16 10:37:10 CDT 2002

> We're getting closer but multiple roles don't fit into one attribute. We
> don't want to add multiple <x> elements for each role, do we? The <x>
> element should carry some more information. If we wrap the roles of the
> user with a user tag and its jid, we might also use this structure as
> result for explicit queries of the special users for this room.
>
> A presence packet may look like this:
>
> <presence to="user at sdsds.com" from="room at gc.server.com/user">
> <x xmlns="jabber:x:gcuser">
> <user jid="user at sdsds.com">
> <admin/>
> <moderator/>
> </user>
> </x>
> </presence>

We wouldnt want that, it shows the users real jid which defeats the object
of using the room at gc.server.com/user to hide the real users address among
other things, it has been noted that you should not be able to find out the
real jid of people in a room unless they want people to know it.

> Or even more generalized we might also add the jid of the room the role
> is valid for to be able to describe the complete setup of the conference
> component's special users.
>
> <presence to="user at sdsds.com" from="room at gc.server.com/user">
> <x xmlns="jabber:x:gcuser">
> <user jid="user at sdsds.com">
> <admin>
> <room jid="room at gc.server.com">
> </admin>
> <moderator>
> <room jid="room at gc.server.com">
> </moderator>
> </user>
> </x>
> </presence>

why is any of this needed, from the from you already know that this relates
to a particular room, and you would not want to broadcast to all rooms a
persons complete server wide room privilages.

And as another follow up message has said people will only have one role
within a room (why logically would they need another role?) just having the
original

<presence to="user at sdsds.com" from="room at gc.server.com/user">
    <x xmlns="jabber:x:gcuser" type="admin"/>
</presence>

with just a single attribute stating the role of the person, also unless the
person has a role other than a normal user you could also not send the x
element and assume everybody is a normal user unless stated otherwise.

Richard