[standards-jig] What to do about PubSub

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed Sep 18 07:18:47 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 01:16:48PM +0100, Piers Harding wrote:
> Can we add to this some thought on how to deal with networking pubsub
> components together (a protocol for pubsub components to cooperate in
> sharing/channeling pubsub data), or will this fall into one of
>  the other categories.

At the risk of already going in 'too deep', I would say this is indeed a
different category. It does need to take in account the different variables in
moving over subscriptions e.g. topic, publisher, and authentication. In the
authentication case for example, you might need to make sure that when a
subscription has moved to a local server (for sharing), new subscription
requests honour the same authentication requirements as the original
'provider'. Otherwise it should only have to deal with the stored subscription
information.

Ralphm