[standards-jig] UPDATED: Multi-User Chat (JEP 45, v. 0.3)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Sep 18 10:39:42 CDT 2002

The only reason I thought it might be nice to send these requests to
room at service/admin is so that (with this simple protocol) the service does
not need to fish through message bodies to find '/kick' and so on. If the
client can flag those (as many clients now do for '/nick') and send them
to a special reserved resource of room at service, then we can have a fair
amount of simplicity without formulating new namespaces. However, it could
be that this is just a protocol hack and it would be better to create a
special-purpose namespace for this (as I had in version 0.2).

(On a side note, I would disagree that room at service/admin must be
construed as a participant in the room. Rather, it's just some resource
associated with the room. The jdev room is populated by a number of bots,
including ChatBot -- which is more of an information resource than a
participant. Participants are addressed as room at service/nick but that
doesn't mean room at service/resource is reserved only for participants.
Nevertheless it may be a hack....)

Jabber Software Foundation