[standards-jig] What to do about PubSub

DJ Adams dj.adams at pobox.com
Wed Sep 18 14:10:00 CDT 2002

On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 11:32:22AM -0700, Iain Shigeoka wrote:

> There are some interop issues with multiple parallel protocols, but I would
> hope that things will be solved via open source meritocracy... The best
> protocols will be used and widely deployed, the others will die or at least
> be marginalized and mostly forgotten.

This is something we need to avoid. It's not VHS vs Betamax, it's something
that different groups of people are going to want to implement immediately
and are going to get frustrated if the flavour they've gone for has little
interop with another Jabber pubsub flavour.

> I'd propose starting everything separate, then when we see implementations

Well, in a fresh attempt and approach at trying to resolve the pubsub
stalemate, the council is intending to look at it from a component POV.

dj