[standards-jig] NEW JEP: Direct TCP (JEP-0046)

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Wed Sep 18 14:26:34 CDT 2002

Peter,

Whoops, I should have joined in on the discussion.  I have read the conference
log, and Jer's comments sum up my opinion.

DTCP is for simple direct connections between two clients.  There are
active/passive modes to decide the direction of the TCP connection, which is
useful when trying to get around NAT.  The idea is that as long as one peer
is either not firewalled or has an appropriate port-forward setup, either
peer can request a successful DTCP.

JOBS is much more complex, and allows you to combine multiple connections
together (similar to JEP-0037).  It also has a much more complicated iq
protocol, for various types of connection attributes and admin control.  JOBS
is expected to be implemented as a server module.  It is also possible that a
client could implement its own "JOBS server", but this would strip JOBS down
to the same capability as DTCP, just more complicated.  Actually, it would be
less capable, since it doesn't support passive connections.

DTCP was designed for direct client-to-client connecting, and nothing more.
This makes it "good for what it does".  If we want more than this, like
server routing or multicast, then I say we do that as separate protocols.  It
might even be possible to reduce the size of JOBS by having it use DTCP as a
foundation.

Lastly, I want to say that simple specifications are more likely to be
implemented.  I have already made an implementation of DTCP, and it is over
1000 lines of code.  I'd imagine that implementing JOBS would be much harder,
for very little payoff at this time.

-Justin