[standards-jig] UPDATED AGAIN: Multi-User Chat, v. 0.4

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Sep 19 04:01:55 CDT 2002

Hi,

Changing it to use a special namespace is good but....

Clients now HAVE to be updated to support this, the previous method was easy
and would work now without modification increasing the initial user base.

<iq type='get' to='room at service' id='ban2'/>
  <x xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <banned/>
  </x>
</iq>

Why under the iq is it in an x element?

for the grants and revokes instead of:

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='voice1'/>
  <x xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <grantvoice>somecooldude</grantvoice>
  </x>
</iq>

wouldnt it be nicer to do:

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='voice1'/>
  <voice xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <grant>somecooldude</grant>
  </voice>
</iq>

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='voice1'/>
  <voice xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <revoke>somecooldude</revoke>
  </voice>
</iq>

This allows easy extension of the different types allowed having to parse
for grantvoice and revokevoice is more complicated as is adding support for
new privileges, a bit of a hack, when xml is capable of so much more.

its also then easier to get the lists of people on each list:

<iq type='get' to='room at service' id='voice1'/>
  <voice xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'/>
</iq>

with response of

<iq type='get' to='room at service' id='voice1'/>
  <voice xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <jid>user7 at domain.com</jid>
    <jid>user1 at domain.com</jid>
    <jid>user4 at domain.com</jid>
  </voice>
</iq>

this could be applied to all the types like banned and invite.

also the others can be simplified as:

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='ban1'/>
  <ban xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <jid>totaljerk</jid>
    <jid>otherjerk</jid>
  </ban>
</iq>

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='ban1'/>
  <kick xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <jid>totaljerk</jid>
  </kick>
</iq>

or the banning could be done as:

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='ban1'/>
  <banned xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <add>totaljerk</add>
  </ban>
</iq>

and un banning as

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='ban1'/>
  <banned xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <remove>totaljerk</remove>
  </ban>
</iq>

or maybe done as (more inline with previous work like the Server based
privacy rules):

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='ban1'/>
  <banned xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <item jid="totaljerk" type="add"/>
  </ban>
</iq>

<iq type='set' to='room at service' id='ban1'/>
  <banned xmlns='jabber:gc:admin'>
    <item jid="totaljerk" type="remove"/>
  </ban>
</iq>

Overall I think the new namespace for admin is good, but does need a bit of
tweaking.

Richard