[standards-jig] Version 0.6 of JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 23 11:15:09 CDT 2002

This post well states my thoughts on the subject. While I think that a
hierarchical organization of rooms makes sense in some contexts, JEP 45
says nothing abotu how you find the JID of a room. It could through
browsing (in which case a hierarchy makes sense), it could be from
receiving an email, it could be from a web page, etc. I really do see this
hierarchy issue as orthogonal to the base protocol we're defining in JEP
45. If anything it has to do with browsing and some of the pub/sub pieces
DJ talked about recently, not the base groupchat protocol. I'm open to
argument but right now I'm just not seeing the connection.

Indeed, I would go so far as to say that discovery of a JID (whether that
JID be a room or a person or some other entity) is utterly separate from
how you subsequently interact with that JID (send it messages, receive its
presence, etc.).

Jabber Software Foundation