[standards-jig] Version 0.3 of JEP-0046 / DTCP

Jer jer at jabber.org
Mon Sep 23 20:08:45 UTC 2002

I'm wondering, since what I understand to be the more-important subset
of DTCP is simply a standard way to express the multiple potential IP's
associated with an endpoint (multiple interfaces, SOCKS, fw's, NATs,
PASS-like gateways, etc) is instead using a variant of
jabber:iq:negotiate (jep-20) for that purpose alone.

Right now iq:negotiate works in the opposite direction of what is
needed, so instead would it be wrong to do a get with no options, and
the recipient return the list of options (ip's in this case)?  For

<iq type="get" id="1" to="jack at jabber.org/client">
   <query xmlns="jabber:iq:negotiate">
     <feature type="ip-addresses"/>

<iq type="result" id="1" to="jill at jabber.org/pda">
   <query xmlns="jabber:iq:negotiate">
     <feature type="ip-addresses">

Then, when any app using any namespace need to know a list of IP's that
might represent some other entity, there is one common way of asking
and serving such information.

Is this pushing iq:negotiate beyond it's intent too far?