[standards-jig] LAST CALL: Server-Based Privacy Rules (JEP-0016)

Ben Schumacher ben at blahr.com
Sat Sep 28 07:47:56 CDT 2002

On 27 Sep 2002, Justin Kirby wrote:
> We have business hours?

The JSF is a corporation that is based in Denver (as that's where the
secretary is located), I would assume that close of business, and
operating hours, is based on his day... but that's just my guess.

> Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but what about blocking entire
> domains, or implementing some type of pattern matching on the JID?
>
> <item jid="(\d*)@domain.com" type="deny"/>

Could the current protocol not already block an entire domain? It does JID
matching, but if the JID is just 'domain.com', doesn't that imply
'*@domain.com' based on the current behavior of most software? I don't
know if is explicit in the JEP, but maybe it should be. I would, also,
think that 'x at domain.com/y' should block that resource from that user.

As for using pattern matching in JIDs, I don't think its necessary. In
your example, you used a RegExp, but what happens when somebody is using a
client that is written in a language that doesn't support RegExp's.

bs.