[2] [standards-jig] NEW JEP: Inband Bytestream (JEP-0047)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Mon Sep 30 06:33:36 CDT 2002

> Bandwith usage is configurable on the server with Karma. If you give
> serveradmins the ability to block the *standard* way of exchanging
> inband data client will go around this and do it in non-standard ways
> (eg stuffing it into a <message/>). Then we'll end up with no standard
> again.

That maybe the case, but server admins need the configurable ability to
block inband client data if they want to, it cannot simply be forced on
them. Also if anyone goes non-standard then that is their look out, if they
do they risk not being compatible with clients that do follow the standard
(i.e. almost all) you will always get rogue people who want to do it their
way, the problem at the moment is that there is no standard, thats why
people are using all sorts of ways at the moment.

Richard