[Standards-JIG] bot-challenge proto-JEP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Sep 1 15:37:12 CDT 2005

Ian Paterson wrote:
>>1. Romeo sends subscription request to Juliet.
>

> Q1: Has Romeo blocked all stanzas from everyone including Juliet?

Gosh, no. He's trying to communicate with her so presumably his client
would "poke a hole in the privacy list" by enabling exchange of stanzas
with her.

> Q2: What if he sends a message?

Folks on this list assert that subscription spam is more of a problem
than message spam, so I changed the example. I don't see that it would
make much of a difference.

> [I think we pretty much reached consensus on this list that people want
> to continue to be able to send messages to other people without being on
> their rosters.]

Without being on their rosters, or without having a presence
subscription? Or both?

> [I assume you aren't saying that in order to receive a message from
> someone (who may still be a stranger) I have to allow them to see my
> presence.]

No.

>>2. Juliet's server sends a message to Romeo's client, including a
>>plaintext body, a URL (JEP-0066), and a data form.
>>3. Romeo replies to the plaintext challenge, visits the URL,
>>or returns the form.
>>4. If he passes one of the tests, he gets another message
>>from Juliet's server telling him that he's cleared to
>>communicate with Juliet.
>

> Q3: Is his presence subscription forwarded to Juliet?

We need to decide whether the recipient's server queues up the stanzas
(see previous message). But I think that's a bad idea because what if
the sender generates 1000 messages to be queued up?

Jabber Software Foundation