[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0045: kick/ban inconsistency

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Sep 6 16:15:57 CDT 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Nolan Eakins wrote:

>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> | It's been brought to my attention that there is an inconsistency in
>> | JEP-0045: it is possible to ban an admin or owner (in accordance with
>> | changes to the affiliation state chart last year), but it is not
>> | possible to kick an admin or owner. That seems rather silly, so I will
>> | work to harmonize the behavior and then ask the Council to approve
>> those
>> | changes sometime soon.
>>
>> Are you going to make it so that an admin or owner can get kicked?
>

> Yes, that seems like the right direction in which to harmonize.

Well, consistent with the rules for revoking voice, the rule should be
that you can kick or ban only people who are at or below your
affiliation level (somehow this is not currently documented properly). So:

1. A moderator who is a participant cannot kick an admin or owner.
2. A moderator who is an admin cannot kick an owner.
3. An admin cannot ban an owner.

This helps prevent race conditions and room control problems as we
agreed upon back in 2002 or whenever.

Jabber Software Foundation