[Standards-JIG] bot-challenge proto-JEP

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 19:51:51 CDT 2005

Tomasz wrote:
> Second thing is that I would like my client to display
> challenge dialog differently than other. With some comment,
> special icon etc.

Yes.

> How would it differentiate challenges from other
> messages that happens to carry text, OOB URL and dataform?

The fact that the 'FORM_TYPE' field has the value
'http://jabber.org/protocol/challenge' would be enough.

However, if we agree that OOB and plaintext question should be outside
the form, then that will only leave the Hashcash and various multimedia
challenges. None of which are supported by existing clients (even if
they support JEP-0004 Data Forms). So, to avoid confusing users, we
should probably continue to hide the form away from existing clients in
a <challenge xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/challenge'/> wrapper
element.

(BTW I can't think of any other protocol where the form isn't hidden in
this way. Is there a reason for that?)

- Ian