[Standards-JIG] advertisement and query suggestions for JEP-0128

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Sep 8 15:21:42 CDT 2005

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Hi Ralph,
>

>>JEP-0128 tries to maintain a distinction between #info and
>>#items, but we don't think this is optimal.
>

> I agree that this is often very sub-optimal.

In some situations, it's possible that an entity may know about its
items. One example is this:

> (FYI, my specific requirement was to know how many people are in 100
> different rooms without having to disco#info all of them individually.)

The MUC service is responsible for all those rooms (at least in most
implementations). This is quite different from a server providing
information about all its components.

Perhaps there's a rough distinction here between a domain trying to
provide information about its subdomains and a subdomain providing
information about its rooms, nodes, etc.?

It's worth thinking about further...

Jabber Software Foundation