[Standards-JIG] Re: password-protected room with no password (MUC)

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:27:32 CDT 2005

On 9/19/05, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> > I disagree. I would let the room with an empty password, since it's what
> > has been configured and it's possible to respect it.
>
> Yes.  It may be useful to have a well-known, but still enforced,
> password, and being able to set it blank seems like the best way to do
> this. I personally cannot think of a use case for this, but I'm sure
> someone out there will want it.
>
> Of course, then the problem becomes a client one.  Does an empty
> password field mean "no password" or "blank password"?

I think the best solution is to do as Nolan suggested.  Not let this
confusing situation happen.  Let me give you a hypothetical example
using a text-based jabber client:

# create_room roomname
Enter password, or hit ENTER for no password

I can't see doing this any other way.  At least not without
intentionally introducing confusion.  :)

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc
http://halr9000.com