[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Flagging the Primary Resource

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Sep 27 17:48:14 CDT 2005

Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:
> IMHO the document falls a little short explaining what the goal behind
> the proposal is...

Agreed. We'll have to fix that over the next few days.

> Could the author(s) elaborate on the usage of this extension (Use cases
> are always welcomed by the community). What is the definition of a
> 'primary' resource? In what way would this 'primary' resource be used?

Good questions that will need to be answered.

> As another post said, we already have a priority mechanism in the
> server. How is this going to be different? Couldn't we adapt the
> priority mechanism to achieve the same results?

I can have more than one resource with the same priority. In that case,
the server needs to determine which one is more available. Often the
is less available than no <show/> value) or the datetime of the last
presence (or any stanza) received from that resource. Etc.

> If this 'primary' resource indicates the most likely contact device for
> a user, we already have jep-152 which in its present form convey a
> slightly different meaning, but could be adapted to cover this usage as
> well. We could use an empty <reach/> for example
>

> <presence from='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' to='romeo at montague.net/orchard'>
>
>   <status>I&apos;m back!</status>
>
>   <reach xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/reach'/>
>
> </presence>

Haha, I hadn't considered that. So empty <reach/> means simply "if you
need to reach me via XMPP, do so at *this* resource". That's worth
considering.