[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0158 (Robot Challenges)

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Wed Sep 28 16:42:31 CDT 2005

Op woensdag 28 september 2005 21:08, schreef Ian Paterson:
> > > Why MP3 for the audio CAPTCHAs instead of Ogg Vorbis or Speex?
> >
> > Lowest common denominator? Vorbis would be nice, though, since it's
> > patent-free.
>
> Yes, lowest common denominator.
>
> You can use Ogg, Vorbis or Speex, but the only one that you can be sure
> a JEP-0158 client will support is MP3:
>
> "Clients that support the CAPTCHA type MUST be able to play or render
> the specified MIME-types (see table below). They MAY also support other
> formats."

Yes, but I think MP3 shouldn't be the default format.

> IMHO, to encourage client implementations, the JEP should only *require*
> one format for each type of media (at least at this stage of the
> protocol development).
>
> I'm completely open to specifying other required formats where that
> makes sense. Here are my priorities:
>
> 1. They MUST be available in constrained runtime environments (PDAs,
> Phones, Web browsers etc).

I don't think that's a problem with Ogg Vorbis.

> 2. Relatively patent free

ok

> 3. Existance of both open source and inexpensive commercial
> implementations

AFAIK there are BSD licensed libraries with support for Ogg Vorbis.

> 4. Efficient compression

One of the reasons why I think MP3 isn't the best solution :-)

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.

xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org ( http://jabber.tk/ )