[Standards-JIG] Re: proto-JEP: Flagging the Primary Resource

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Sep 28 23:24:04 CDT 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> As another post said, we already have a priority mechanism in the
>> server. How is this going to be different? Couldn't we adapt the
>> priority mechanism to achieve the same results?
>

> I can have more than one resource with the same priority. In that case,
> the server needs to determine which one is more available. Often the
> is less available than no <show/> value) or the datetime of the last
> presence (or any stanza) received from that resource. Etc.

That's a case that didn't cross my mind. I'm not entirely sure if adding
a new element to specify the most available is the best way. There's a
few ways to do this: have the server send an extra element, disallow
multiple resources w/ the same priority (would need the maximum number
of priorities to be expanded), or specify the algorithm itself to be
used by everyone.

I'm sure you guys discussed the other two ways before or while this was
written. Why did you choose to send an extra element?

Another question: what if the server makes a resource that I don't want
to be the most available as the most available? That kind of puts me
back at guessing the algorithm.

- Nolan