[Standards-JIG] more SPIM JEPs

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:10:28 CDT 2005

On 9/29/05, Tijl Houtbeckers <thoutbeckers at splendo.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:40:38 +0200, Ian Paterson
> <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:
> > IMHO the SPIM issue is fundamental to the long-term success of XMPP (as
> > the miserable death of email is currently proving).

Not that I disagree that email is a cesspool of spam, but the burden
is reduced to neglible levels with a properly administered spam
deterrent on the server.

> As I mentioned way in the beginning of this discussion, I think there
> should be a way for servers to make an assesment of stanzas, as to the
> propabilities wether they are spim or not. I think the key to effective,

And so, analogous to email, whether or not we have quality deterrents
built into the protocol, the server can always intercept every stanza
and analyze it using a modification of tools that exist today, such as
Spam Assassin.

Yes, we want to do our work up front to see that the problem never
gets as bad as email--but if it does, all is not lost.  Just a thought
to keep in mind

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc