[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0158 (Robot Challenges)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 12:39:41 CDT 2005

> > 1. They MUST be available in constrained runtime
> > environments (PDAs, Phones, Web browsers etc).
>
> I don't think that's a problem with Ogg Vorbis.

I'm afraid it is a problem. :(

I would love to require only a patent free format, but I just confrimed
that Ogg files are not supported by Web browsers (or even Windows Media
Player out of the box).

For example, is there a patent-free format that can be played by opening
the HTML file below in Internet Explorer? (Firefox uses different HTML
and doesn't seem to play sound out of the box at all.)

<HTML>
<BODY>
<BGSOUND SRC="helloo.mp3">
</BODY>
</HTML>

If we can't find one audio format that all clients can support then we
will need to recommend two formats that challengers SHOULD support.

Do we have similar problems with image/jpeg or video/jpeg?

- Ian