[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0158 (Robot Challenges)

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Sep 29 16:35:21 CDT 2005

>> He is talking about web based clients, i.e. if it wont play in a browser
>> it
>> wont work in the web based client either, we really need something that
>> you
>> dont have to install libraries for to play, something built into most
>> systems, i.e. something like wav or mp3.
>
> Wasn't it mentioned in the JEP that it would automatically choose the
> image
> CAPTCHA challenge instead? :-)

The point is it shouldnt have to, it would be able to play it if it was a
more common format, the whole point of having a must implement format is
that it follows the rules of lowest common denominator, thus the minimum
format requirement should be one that is usable in the most cases possible,
thus MP3. Ogg Vorbis should simply be one of the extra recommended formats
since it is not nearly as ubiquitous and requires special libraries in the
majority of cases since its not available as standard in most cases.

> Besides that, my Web browsers do not play sounds;

Lots do, just because yours doesnt isnt really the issue here.

> Web clients can fix this usability issue in Microsoft Windows
> (not having support for several open formats such as Ogg Vorbis to favour
> their own formats such as WMA...btw: antitrust!)

By making Ogg Vorbis the MUST implement you are forcing these web clients to
not be allowed to implement audio CAPTCHAs since they cant support Ogg
Vorbis without extra libraries, so even if they do have other codecs
installed they arnt allowed to use them.

Richard