[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0158 (Robot Challenges)

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Thu Sep 29 17:09:48 CDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:35, Richard Dobson wrote:
> The point is it shouldnt have to, it would be able to play it if it was a
> more common format, the whole point of having a must implement format is
> that it follows the rules of lowest common denominator, thus the minimum
> format requirement should be one that is usable in the most cases possible,
> thus MP3.

Not WAV?  I thought everyone had WAV. :-/

> By making Ogg Vorbis the MUST implement you are forcing these web clients
> to not be allowed to implement audio CAPTCHAs since they cant support Ogg
> Vorbis without extra libraries, so even if they do have other codecs
> installed they arnt allowed to use them.

Two different issues.

Setting Ogg Vorbis as the MUST, doesn't preclude the OPTION of supporting
other codecs as well.

I would have thought they would be allowed to use any of the codecs they have
which correspond with the ones supported by the CAPTCHA.  If the MP3 licence
has been paid for, we shouldn't prevent it being used.  But at the same time,
we shouldn't _require_ a codec which might cost money to implement.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/