[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0158 (Robot Challenges)

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu Sep 29 18:34:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:26:12 +0200, Ian Paterson
<ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:

> Tijl wrote:
>> > PCM/Wav
>
> Peter wrote:
>> I agree with Tijl, we're talking about very small sound samples here
>> (probably just a single word or short phrase/question) and WAV is as
>> close to universal as we're going to get (IMHO).
>
> Sorry everyone. I thought Trejkaz was a joking!
>
> I didn't believe any Microsoft format could ever become ubiquitous. ;-)
>
> My working copy is changed.

Well, PCM is the codec (should be mentioned in the JEP), which is not a
Microsoft standard. WAV is the container format, which once was a joint
MS-IBM standard, but, like AVI, based on another standard (IFF). It has
been in wide use on practically every platform for many years now as well.