[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Flagging the Primary Resource

Tomasz Sterna tomasz.sterna at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 02:51:40 CDT 2005

2005/9/30, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>:
> What if the
> resource from which you last received presence is connected to the
> server via an intermittent WAP connection (known to the server but not
> to the subscribers) and the server never considers such a connection to
> be primary because of the connection type?

Does my server really have any clue to decide which of my resources is
a primary one?

Taking your example:
- I have to resources connected. One direct and one WAP.
I see two scenarios:
- I'm sitting at my desk and would like to get messages on my desktop client
- I'm away of my desk doing something and would like to recieve
messages on my mobile

Does my server really is in the position of deciding which resource is
my primary one at the moment?
No. I have to tell it explicitly. And that's what I have priority
attached to presence. Rising my priority while sitting at the desk and
lowering while walking away.

We are spending much time discussing situations when there are many
resources with the same priority. We're creating workarounds, taking
different aproach - show, time, name, etc. when we have a solution
already implemented and deployed. While the reality is that the server
is not in the position, and really has no clue, of deciding where the
user really wants to get messages recieved.
I think the situation, when there are many resources with the same
priority is abnormal and shouldn't happen. "simple clients" - I'm
whole heart for the idea, but let's be real - there has to be at least
some logic there. :-) We cannot workaround all client defeciencies in
the servers.

Another thing - Why would a client be interested which resource is
primary? It just sends a message and the server takes care of the
delivery. Especially with presence of AMP one cannot be sure where the
message will be delivered.
There is only one client I see it be usefull for - presence
indicators. Code needed for tracking user's primary resource, for
display on a web page, is relatively large and complicated, compared
to the one-liner just extracting presence info and storing in the DB.
But is it really worth dumping more XML data into the network just for
some simple bots?

--
smk