[Standards-JIG] UPDATED: JEP-0158 (Robot Challenges)

Tomasz Sterna tomasz.sterna at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 03:03:44 CDT 2005

2005/9/29, Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk>:
> I would love to require only a patent free format, but I just confrimed
> that Ogg files are not supported by Web browsers (or even Windows Media
> Player out of the box).

You're right.
But the JEP defines what a _jabber client_ MUST support.
We're not dealing with web browsers. :-)

When the challengee decides to use the web-based CAPTCHA it's going
out of scope of the JEP.
My suggestion is to use web server ability to do content negotiation
with web browser and/or browser detection, to decide what format of
audio CAPTCHA to serve. (Most probably Flash would be the best
option.)

--
smk