[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Flagging the Primary Resource

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Fri Sep 30 03:22:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:51, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> There is only one client I see it be usefull for - presence
> indicators. Code needed for tracking user's primary resource, for
> display on a web page, is relatively large and complicated, compared
> to the one-liner just extracting presence info and storing in the DB.
> But is it really worth dumping more XML data into the network just for
> some simple bots?

It's not just bots which need to display presence.  You're forgetting that
*all* clients inevitably display presence for a user.  If there are two
contacts online, whether that user's icon says "online" or "away" depends on
which is the primary resource.

And of course, what the user sees on that icon reflects how likely they are to
send a message to it.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>