[Standards-JIG] Service discovery name returned by a client (was: XEP 115)

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sat Dec 2 07:05:22 CST 2006

Hi Remko!

Remko Tronçon schrieb:
> An example of a response on the client node:
>
> <iq type="result" to="me" >
> <query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info"
> node="http://psi-im.org/caps#0.11-dev-rev7" >
> <identity category="client" type="pc" name="Psi" />

I wanted to write about that for some time now, but I always forgot. I
know that many Jabber clients return the name of the software as the
name in the identity element. I am wondering if it wouldn't be possible
to return more meaningful data. In practice I associate with
john at example.com/home not the client but the user. Therefore I'd expect
to have something like "John Q. Public" as the item's name.

I am aware that returning the realname of a user might be a privacy
problem. But at least if a user published a vCard, a client could return
the content of the FN element in the vCard.

What do the others think about it?

Tot kijk
    Matthias

--
Matthias Wimmer      Fon +49-700 77 00 77 70
Züricher Str. 243    Fax +49-89 95 89 91 56