[Standards-JIG] Service discovery name returned by a client

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Sat Dec 2 07:23:11 CST 2006

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
>> <iq type="result" to="me" >
>> <query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/disco#info"
>> node="http://psi-im.org/caps#0.11-dev-rev7" >
>> <identity category="client" type="pc" name="Psi" />
>
> I wanted to write about that for some time now, but I always forgot. I
> know that many Jabber clients return the name of the software as the
> name in the identity element. I am wondering if it wouldn't be possible
> to return more meaningful data. In practice I associate with
> john at example.com/home not the client but the user. Therefore I'd expect
> to have something like "John Q. Public" as the item's name.

In the example above, "Psi" is a name of a "pc client".

User's name could be a name of the account, so you could probably use:
<identity category='account' type='registered' name='John Q. Public'/>

And maybe this could be returned by server in bare-JID disco.

--
Maciek                       A: It's against natural order of reading.
 xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net   Q: Why is that?