[Standards-JIG] Why is S2S on 5269 and not 5222?

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 23:20:35 CST 2006

On 12/1/06, Chris Mullins <chris.mullins at coversant.net> wrote:

> I'm scoping some upcoming S2S work in our server, and I keep wondering
> why S2S connections are on a different port than standard connections?

  Becouse originally, a long time ago, in a server far, far away, Jabber was
for IM over pot 5222, and etherx was for a neutral XML document exchange, on
port 5269.  :-)

  Over time, the lines become more and more transparent, but mostly?

  Simplicity.

  For that matter, why 5222, 5223, 5269, AND 5270.  :-)

This eliminates another firewall hole, and makes configuration that much
> simpler.

  Unless of course, you want to firewall servers differently then clients.

--
-- Thomas