[Standards-JIG] Problem implementing XEP-0191 / Mapping XEP-0191 on XEP-0016

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Mon Dec 4 10:13:33 CST 2006

> What should be returned by the server if a user is requesting the
> blocklist in these cases? Possible results:
> - Send back a stanza error telling that the current privacy list cannot
> be expressed as a blocklist. A client can then "reset" the privacy list
> be doing a "unblock all".

I like this one.

I don't know what to do with the open problem. It's a bit
contradictory that blocklists can be changed (and the changes are
pushed to the other resources), yet their underlying privacy list
cannot.
Even from the perspective of privacy lists, i always found it annoying
that i could not modify my active privacy list. On the other hand, if
you start allowing it, beware of the blocklist pushes: generating a
blocklist push after a privacy list change (because some client
requested the blocklist before) gets you into the mapping trouble
again.

cheers,
Remko