[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Mridul mridul at sun.com
Thu Dec 7 10:19:31 CST 2006

Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Mridul schrieb:
>>
>> In order processing is required - which need not translate into in
>> order delivery.
>> And which does not actually translate in case there is heavy load if
>> using async sockets.
>
> IMHO delivering messages is part of processing a message.

No, it is not. That would be in order delivery.
There are protocols and contracts which mandate in order delivery - xmpp
is not one of them though.

> Not delivering messages in-order has been considered a bug for a long
> time.
>
> If you are binding a XMPP stream on a transport protocol, that does
> not guarantee in-order delivery by itself, your binding would have to
> ensure the reordering.

I think the assumption here is that in order processing will immediately
result in in order delivery - which is a simplistic scenario.
Anyway, the point is - since xmpp does not mandate in order delivery : I
am not sure why 47 is trying to mandate it - especially since seq number
can be used for message re-ordering in case of out of sync delivery.

Regards,
Mridul