[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Michal 'vorner' Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Thu Dec 7 10:30:31 CST 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:49:31PM +0530, Mridul wrote:
> I think the assumption here is that in order processing will immediately
> result in in order delivery - which is a simplistic scenario.
> Anyway, the point is - since xmpp does not mandate in order delivery : I
> am not sure why 47 is trying to mandate it - especially since seq number
> can be used for message re-ordering in case of out of sync delivery.

You can not use them for reordering, you would have to store them, which
is IMO:
• More work, so clients should not be forced to de so
• Could make a memory DOS attack
• Could lead to blocked session that would not be dropped

And anyway, the question is - is sending out part of the processing? If
yes, then you have guaranteed in-order delivery (since TCP can not swap
them, nor could the server)

Have a nice day

--
BOFH Excuse #452:

Somebody ran the operating system through a spelling checker.

Michal 'vorner' Vaner