[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu Dec 7 11:38:30 CST 2006

Mridul Wrote:
> In order processing is required - which need not translate
> into in order delivery.

> And which does not actually translate in case there is
> heavy load if using async sockets.

I agree. The case where "In Order Processing" == "In Order Delivery" is simplistic given the massive parallelism in the current generations of servers.

I had a long discussion with Justin (aka: Infiniti) about this one day, in the context of XMPP Transactions and avoiding race conditions.

Any time 2 or more users share a resource -- which can be a presence subscription, a MUC room, a PubSub Node, etc -- the opportunity for race conditions exist at the protocol level. As we see a huge increase in the number of processors, cores, and (by extensions) processing threads in a server, these race conditions will become more dramatic. When processing shifts from human based IM clients (which are slot) to bots (which as fast) this becomes a real problem.

--
Chris Mullins
Chief Software Architect, Coversant