[Standards-JIG] In order delivery for xep-0047 ?

Maciek Niedzielski machekku at uaznia.net
Fri Dec 8 05:18:32 CST 2006

Mridul wrote:
> Ian Paterson wrote:
>> Since the intention has always been for in-order delivery, either we
>> need to tighten up the wording of the RFC a little to remove any
>> possible doubt, or we need to agree a radical change to XMPP to allow
>> client implementations to reorder the instant messages they receive.
> Message ordering is very simple to handle at clients if required :
> timestamps, seq numbers, etc - not sure why this should even be pushed
> to the server.
Ordering by timestamps does not meet IM needs for the "presentational"
reason: The client doesn't know if it has all previous messages already,
so it cannot wait for the missing messages: it has to display them as
they arrive. So dynamic reordering at client side would require
inserting delayed messages somewhere in the middle of the chat log,
which may be confusing and hard to notice. And now imagine you just
logged in and 20 offline messages appear in front of you this way: maybe
it would look cool at the first time, but I wouldn't like to see it again.

--
Maciek                       A: It's against natural order of reading.
 xmpp:machekku at uaznia.net   Q: Why is that?