[Standards-JIG] Privacy lists: changing active and default list at the same time

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Dec 8 16:38:40 CST 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Matthias Wimmer wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> While using Neos I noticed that this client had problems using the
>> privacy lists on my server. By checking the XML console I found out,
>> that Neos is trying to change default and active list using the same iq
>> query:
>>
>>   <iq to="mawis at amessage.de/neos" from="mawis at amessage.de/neos"
>> id="ma3101" type="result"/>
>>   <iq id="ma3102" type="set">
>>     <query xmlns="jabber:iq:privacy">
>>       <default name="NeosPrivacy"/>
>>       <active name="NeosPrivacy"/>
>>     </query>
>>   </iq>
>>   <iq to="mawis at amessage.de/neos" from="mawis at amessage.de/neos"
>> id="ma3102" type="error">
>>     <query xmlns="jabber:iq:privacy">
>>       <default name="NeosPrivacy"/>
>>       <active name="NeosPrivacy"/>
>>     </query>
>>     <error type="modify" code="400">
>>       <bad-request xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas"/>
>>       <text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas">Bad Request</text>
>>     </error>
>>   </iq>
>>
>> In my implementation of the privacy lists I do not allow this, but when
>> I checked RFC 3921, I noticed that it is not clear if this is allowed.
>> While it is no usecase to change both at the same time, the above
>> request conforms the schemas.
>>
>> I think it should be defined in XEP-0016, if changing both lists at the
>> same time is allowed by the protocol.
>
> I think that this is not allowed and that we need to make it clear in
> XEP-0016.

Actually this is already specified, in the antepenultimate paragraph of
Section 2.1:

***

Within the 'jabber:iq:privacy' namespace, the <query/> child of an IQ
stanza of type "set" MUST NOT include more than one child element (i.e.,
the stanza MUST contain only one <active/> element, one <default/>
element, or one <list/> element); if a sending entity violates this
rule, the receiving entity MUST return a <bad-request/> stanza error.

***

Jabber Software Foundation