[Standards] s2s and gracelessly broken streams

Mridul Mridul.Muralidharan at Sun.COM
Mon Apr 2 08:42:22 CDT 2007

Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> Dnia 30-03-2007, pią o godzinie 17:02 +0200, Matthias Wimmer napisał(a):
>> Servers will typically close connections to reduce the number of open
>> connections. If we trigger a probe on this event, we will just force
>> servers to have open connections
>
> Do you see that as a problem?

Yes, too many open connections (inbound + outbound) especially if you
are openly federating.

>> to all other servers they know all the time.
>
> Only to ones that they got online users from.
> Servers with only offline users would need not to be probed.

You dont know who has offline user and who does not.
The problem of userB at domain2 thinking userA at domain1 is offline when he
is available is almost as bad.

>> They would never be closed again.
>
> They will be recreated and closed again after the period of inactivity.
> Again: Do you see that as a problem?

Same as above - if you close, you have no idea of why it was closed and
what happened before it reopened : atleast in a compliant way.

Mridul