[Standards] s2s and gracelessly broken streams

Tomasz Sterna tomek at xiaoka.com
Mon Apr 2 08:51:34 CDT 2007

Dnia 02-04-2007, pon o godzinie 19:12 +0530, Mridul napisał(a):
> Yes, too many open connections (inbound + outbound) especially if you
> are openly federating.

But why?
Everyone says that keeping open TCP connections is bad. Could anyone
give me an explanation?

Why is that few hundreds open s2s connections so evil, while we do keep
several thousands c2s connections open doing no harm?

> > Only to ones that they got online users from.
> > Servers with only offline users would need not to be probed.
> You dont know who has offline user and who does not.

I surely do know which of my connected users see someone as online.
I have a necessary bookkeeping infrastructure already in place.

> The problem of userB at domain2 thinking userA at domain1 is offline when he
> is available is almost as bad.

That would mean that the presence broadcasted packet got lost somewhere.
Detectable andretransmitable on the domain1 server side, thus unlikely.

Ghost online presences (when the domain1 server crashed or
netpartitioned) are more likely. Connection-probing these servers would
help with resolving these.

--
Tomasz Sterna
Xiaoka Grp.  http://www.xiaoka.com/