[Standards] PEP for Private Storage

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Apr 4 11:06:17 CDT 2007

One solution to the configuration problem that just popped into mind is
that maybe we could use a different namespace for Private PEP rather
than trying to lump it all into the exact same thing as the Public PEP,
this easily separates things out, completely avoids the configuration
issues for private storage as it would make it impossible for it to ever
be public.

Private PEP would use the exact same protocol as normal PEP but would
just be permanently restricted to private storage only, i.e. only your
own JID would be able to access it and receive events.

This means that there need not be much additional code as it would just
use the normal PEP engine built into the servers and clients only
differences would be a hard coded ACL and different namespace to
differentiate it from normal PEP, as far as I can see this makes things
very easy to implement, without any of the potensial configuration and
leaking problems with using normal PEP.

Richard