[Standards] Link-Local Messaging comments

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Apr 4 12:46:32 CDT 2007

Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 11:40:13AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>>> You mean the default status?
>> An implementor pinged me about this. Although the spec says the lack of
>> a status TXT record should be assumed as equivalent to "avail", I now
>> think it should be "offline". That is, you can be publishing TXT records
>>  but not be available for link-local communications. So we should
>> assume that someone is unavailable unless we positively determine otherwise.
>
> What does offline mean pratically. That i shouldn't start xmpp connections to
> that client at all or just no text messages or ?
>
> I've got no problems with specifying that no status record means
> offline/unavailable as long as a know what that actually means :)

I think offline here means "don't open an XML stream to me" (for
whatever reason). But then the question arises: why even advertise TXT
records and _presence._tcp if you don't want to communicate?

I see that iChat supported only "avail", "away", and "dnd" as values for
the status TXT record. That almost maps to XMPP <show/> (no "xa" or
"chat" in TXT, no "avail" in <show/>). So perhaps "status" is
effectively <show/> and should default to bare presence, which is
"avail" in the TXT record universe.

Thus maybe I have changed my mind back to "avail". :)

/psa