[Standards] "Reason Attribute" for JingleSession-Terminate packet?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Apr 13 12:30:36 CDT 2007

Thiago Camargo wrote:
> Hello Peter,
>
> I would like structured strings; it increases compatibility in many
> aspects.
> Maybe we should add several types and add an OPTIONAL description in
> free-form.
>
> Enum ReasonType{
> "normally",
> "media-error",
> "connectivity-error",
> "general-error"
> }
>
> And an optional description that SHOULD be OPTIONAL.
>
> Using both we can increase compatibility in error handling and user
> messages.

Sure.

So I think we have two attributes, both of which are OPTIONAL for any
Jingle action:

1. The 'reasoncode' attribute specifies a machine-readable purpose for
the action being sent (e.g., "connectivity-error" for a
session-terminate action).

2. The 'reasontext' attribute specifies a human-readable purpose for the
action being sent (e.g., "Sorry, gotta go!" for a session-terminate action).

Then I think we should have a registry of reasoncodes so that we can
easily define new ones without changing XEP-0166.

But the receiving application MAY ignore both attributes if desired.

XMPP Standards Foundation