[Standards] moving forward on Jingle

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Apr 13 13:24:21 CDT 2007

In October 2006 we issued Last Calls on the Jingle specifications,
specifically on XEP-0166 ("core"), XEP-0167 (audio), and XEP-0177 (raw
UDP transport). It turns out that was a bit premature, but I think now
the specs are truly approaching stability.

Here is my plan:

1. I have some emails (sent on and off list) to read through to make
sure that I have addressed all the issues that have been raised so far.
Some relatively small spec modifications and clarifications may result.
I will complete that process next week, at which point I will publish
updated versions of the relevant XEPs. As far as I can see, those XEPs
will then be ready for Last Call. I think this would include XEPs 166,
167, 177, 180, and 181.

2. We need to figure out when to move forward with XEP-0176 (ICE
transport). I think it would be appropriate for the XMPP Council to
issue a Last Call on this spec when the IESG approves
draft-ietf-mmusic-ice for advancement to Proposed Standard. The ICE-15
draft is currently in Working Group Last Call (ending April 20). The
comments sent to the MMUSIC list so far seem to be relatively minor in
scope, but I would expect ICE-16 to be published before the IESG votes.
While I would prefer to advance all the Jingle specs at the same time,
we don't necessarily want to wait for ICE to be approved in order to
advance the rest of our specs (at least not if the progress of ICE is
delayed significantly).

If you have significant feedback or concerns about any of the Jingle
specs, please post to this list (or contact me directly) in the next
week so that we can discuss the issues and reach consensus on solutions.
Feedback from developers who have implemented the specs is especially
welcome (e.g., I worked closely with Rob McQueen of the Telepathy and
One Laptop Per Child projects to clean things up in the last few months).

Finally, I would appreciate hearing from developers so that we have a
sense of which specs have been implemented (e.g., is anyone using the
DTMF stuff in XEP-0181, who has implemented Jingle Video in XEP-0180?)
and what problems you encountered.

Thanks!

XMPP Standards Foundation